Rust Audio

Rsynth is approaching version 0.1.0

Hi all! I’m proud to announce that rsynth is approaching version 0.1.0.

Rsynth is “A crate for developing audio plugins and applications in Rust, with a focus on software synthesis.” I’ve never used JUCE, but I think it has many similarities (and also many differences). rsynth currently supports vst, jack and batch-processing for offline audio rendering.

The version on crates.io is at version 0.0.1, which was released in June 2018. A lot has happened then since:

• Support for jack and offline audio rendering
  • Multiple complete overhauls of the architecture
  • Many improvements, big and small

So it’s a good idea to have a new release. I’m currently waiting for two reasons:

1. There’s too much technical debt for my personal taste.
  2. I would like to give members of the Rust audio community (that is: you) the opportunity to contribute in an early phase.

I would like to fix some TODO’s, cleanup some code and improve the documentation. (This time, I’ll try to avoid the urge to add new features or redesign the whole crate :slight_smile: )

If you want, you can contribute by trying it out (the master branch on GitHub, that is) and giving feedback. You can also work on issues from the issue tracker or create your own issues. (You can leave the code cleanup to me.) Note that the project can perfectly continue without you at a slow, but steady pace. There’s no obligation to contribute. Only do what feels fun to you.

A big “Thank you!” to @doomy, who initiated the project and who trusted me enough to hand over his “baby” to my account. It was really convenient for me to have something to start from.
Also a big thanks to the Rust Audio community. Your random remarks on the Telegram group were the inspiration for some features that you can now find in the rsynth crate.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is fantastic! Really looking forward to trying this out once I get a spare second one of these days :sweat_smile: