If I remember correctly, one of our members owns (edit: Raph owns it) the rust.audio domain. I would like to assign this discourse the custom URL of
community.rust.audio, as well as have a landing page for
rust.audio itself developed off of the designs I am currently creating.
This thread serves a few purposes:
- What is currently needed in order to finalize that
- What content should live on the site?
Ownership & Naming
Rust Audio is already a thing (on GitHub). In fact, that’s where http://rust.audio currently redirects. There’s many awesome audio-related projects. Because of this, we’ve been hesitant to simply take ownership of the Rust Audio “brand”. There’s a few things we can do here:
- Get permission to use rust.audio. Stay a separate group (rust-dsp), and use the rust.audio domain to publish topics on related development (rust-vst, etc.)
- Merge into the Rust Audio group. Move the
vstproject over to Rust Audio, and open up the site to accommodate all things related to rust and audio.
- Stay separate groups, but do everything else in #2.
All of these require permission and coordination, so they take approximately the same amount of effort. In my opinion, if the Rust Audio folks are OK with it, I think it would be beneficial to the Rust ecosystem as a whole to share our efforts in one place as documented in #2.
We’ve been thinking about this for a while, and unfortunately had not much success due to other responsibilities and not enough communication. I think forums are a perfect place to document how we should move forwards and what needs to be accomplished. So, we need to answer a few questions:
- How should we address the groups (i.e., what option above makes the most sense?)
- Who exactly do we need to talk to in order for this to happen? Who from Rust Audio should we talk to, and who owns the rust.audio domain itself?